Export to .las or .laz

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
gonzalotap

Export to .las or .laz

Post by gonzalotap »

When I export a cloud into a file with extension .las or laz, don´t record a scalar value and when I open this the scalar values are loss.

Thanks Dani
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Export to .las or .laz

Post by daniel »

In fact the LAS/LAZ format can only handle some predetermined fields (see http://asprs.org/a/society/committees/s ... _3_r11.pdf).

The last release version can handle a few of them (time, classification, intensity and return index if I remember well). The current version (in the github trunk) can handle almost all of the remaining fields.

Anyway you can't save a custom scalar field (there's a 'user data' field, but it can only store 8 bits number, i.e. integer values between 0 and 255). I'll add a warning message so that the user is warned when he tries to save a cloud with a custom SF in LAS format.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
framed

Post by framed »

If a scalar field contains an integer representing Intensity (such as from a PTS file), couldn't Cloud Compare export it to LAS/LAZ as Intensity? This is how the e57 export works.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

For intensity you just have to rename the scalar field to "Intensity" (mind the capital 'i') and CC will use it when saving a LAS/LAZ file. I believe there are some constraints on the intensity values in a LAS file (something like they will be stored as integer values on 16 bits).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin