Printing and screen-grabing anaglyph mode

Feel free to ask any question here
MJJ

Printing and screen-grabing anaglyph mode

Post by MJJ »

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for an awesome piece of software!

When using the stereoscopic 3d anaglyph mode (red--blue in this case) I'm having some difficulty presenting those views outside of CC. With the default background colour and gradient the red--blue points are relatively easy to pick up on the monitor, and with glasses I get the 3D "feel". However:
  • Rendering (Display->Render to File) ignores any applied stereoscopic effect
  • Screenshots keeps the feel when viewed on the monitor, but is impossible to when printing (due to the background color)
  • Changing the background color to white, changes the red--blue dots to become yellow--cyan
So do you have any hints for how I can achieve the 3d anaglyph on print from Cloud-Compare? I'm suspecting this to be a CMYK/RGB (subtractive/additive) color thing? Inverting the colors, e.g. in photoshop, gets you nowhere as the background would revert to black also :)

Martin
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Printing and screen-grabing anaglyph mode

Post by daniel »

Well, I don't really know, this feature has never been meant to produce images that can be exported :D

I'll see if at least this mode can be properly handled when 'rendering' the screen as an image.

But for the black background I remember that I struggled a lot to make this work with any background and I finally had to force the black background. Maybe the white background is easier than 'any' background? I'll have to test this... when I found some time.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
PointGeo

Post by PointGeo »

Hi

I am also curious to why the anaglyph frames will not render in the animation plugin.Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Tomas
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I can't remember why it wouldn't work. I'll have to dig into the code and I'll report back ;)
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Okay, I finally understood!

It's probably because your viewports have been created with an 'ortho' projection. If you apply such a viewport while the stereo mode is enabled, it will break the stereo mode.

Make sure you create the viewports with a perspective projection, and it should work fine.

I've updated the latest 2.10.alpha version so that it outputs a warning message in the console when an 'ortho' viewport is set while the stereo mode is enabled (and the stereo mode will be automatically disabled by the way).