.las file save

Feel free to ask any question here
Alex

.las file save

Post by Alex »

Hello everyone. I am a new user to this software so this question may be really dumb. I created a CHM model (Canopy Height Model) and I am trying to export my cloud layer as a.las file. I want my .las file to include the Scalar Field with the canopy height model too but I just can't find a way to do that when saving the .las file. Can someone please tell me how to do that?

Thanks in advance,
Alex
daniel
Site Admin

Re: .las file save

Post by daniel »

Is it a scalar field attached to your cloud with a kind of random name? (because LAS file by default only support some specific scalar fields with very specific names).

With the latest versions of CloudCompare (2.12 and 2.13), you can choose to export these non standard fields as 'Extra scalar fields' (in the 2.13 version, you have a specific tab for that in the LAS saving dialog). But then the program with which you want to import this file must also support Extract scalar fields.

Another option is to simply map this scalar fields with a standard one (once again, with version 2.13 you can do that with the second tab of the saving dialog - you have to select a field that can support the values you have, you can look at the LAS format specifications to check what are the ranges for each one).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Alex

Re: .las file save

Post by Alex »

Hey daniel, thank you for your reply.

The scalar field's name is C2M signed distances, it is the scalar field which showes me the height of the vegetation. I tried exporting it as an extra scalar field and when I opened the file on Cloud Compare it did show me this specific scalar field so no problem here.

The problem I was facing is I was trying to open the .las file in ArcGIS and I think as you mentioned Arc does not support extracted scalar fields so that's why I coulnd't find my exported scalar field.

I will try mapping this with a standard one though and maybe then Arc can detect it.

Thanks a lot for your help!