Point Cloud to Mesh with .e57 file?? Please Help

Feel free to ask any question here
PureAu

Point Cloud to Mesh with .e57 file?? Please Help

Post by PureAu »

Hello CloudCompare Community!

I am a total noob here so I want to say thank you for having me. I am in desperate need of help! I am trying to make an .e57 point cloud file from a Matterport style lidar camera into a mesh. I assume that CloudCompare is an answer to my need for a high quality mesh, but I don't even know what the end result will look like, and I have a big presentation for this project. CloudCompare is the only way that I have even conceived to get a high quality mesh of this building. I had previously been using iPhone lidar apps to document the building, but need a higher quality mesh for this big project.

I have bought a new computer to handle the workload and have spent the last week trying to get the point cloud into a mesh and I am literally at my wits end. I have watched all of the YouTube tutorials and have come up short. I believe that I will be able to figure it out eventually, but before I move on I do need to know if this will even work. Before I spend another week, and pull out the rest of my hair, I thought that I would reach out to the wonderful people on this forum.

Can anyone help me turn my .e57 point cloud file into a mesh? Can I hire you to help me?? I am willing to pay to find out if this is indeed the answer to my solution of getting a high quality mesh of this property. Thank you in advance for considering : )
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Point Cloud to Mesh with .e57 file?? Please Help

Post by daniel »

Maybe you can first start by sharing a snapshot of your point cloud? ;)

Or you can directly send me the cloud to admin@cloudcompare.org. So that we can tell you what's possible to do.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
PureAu

Post by PureAu »

Thank you so much, Daniel!! I will share the file with you. Thank you so much for the guidance!!
txfrog9

Post by txfrog9 »

I too am learning via online tutorials. Very curious for a followup of this issue.
Currently working with .e57 files in CC to export to C3D.
Nara

Post by Nara »

Hello @PureAu
Curious how you're getting on with this? I have a pending post as I'm trying to figure something similar out. However, in my case I'm trying to remove the building and garden furniture from the cloud to create a mesh of just the surface terrain of the property. But because there are stairs and vertical retaining walls, I'm still playing with parameters to use with the CSF plugin. Once I'm happy with the mesh, then I'll want to create contours...
You say Matterport like device - What did you use? A Leica BLK?