Morfological residual model

Feel free to ask any question here
kachlica

Morfological residual model

Post by kachlica »

I am rying to implement Morfological residual model (MRM) methodology developed by Hugo Pires for detection of highly eroded reliefs on medieval tombstones. For brief description of an approach : https://www.academia.edu/10144345/Morph ... d_Surfaces.
Basic step of the technique is the subtraction of decimated smoothed mesh from the original highly detailed mesh. This procedure represents kind of trend removal thus enhancing small scaled surface featues. When I try to apply boolean operation of such kind of two meshes in CC the whole procedure usually crashes. I would like to know if the cork library based booleans operations inside CC are adequate for this approach or if there are other possibilities to achieve similar results for MRM.
thanks
kachlica

Re: Morfological residual model

Post by kachlica »

Started to play with cloud-mesh distance - maybe this may produce similar results as booleans operations, will see...
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Morfological residual model

Post by daniel »

The Cork library is a little bit buggy indeed ;) And sadly its author says he has no time to fix it (while I'm pretty sure it would be easy for him).

CC is not a 'mesh' tool, so I'm not sure what you can achieve in this direction... Maybe by using sampled meshes instead?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin