Upside down cloud causing problems when exporting to ArcMap

Feel free to ask any question here
mlc183

Upside down cloud causing problems when exporting to ArcMap

Post by mlc183 »

I have a point cloud that I created in Agisoft and exported to CloudCompare. I edited the vegetation using CANUPO and the scissors tool. I then try to export the cloud by saving it as a .LAS file so I can create a LAS Dataset in ArcMap. However, when I open the cloud in CloudCompare the cloud is always upside down, so when I open it in ArcMap it is also upside down. I have tried using the Translate/rotate tool but it causes the elevations to be incorrect once I open the cloud in ArcMap.

Is there a better way to get the cloud into ArcMap and have it right side up?
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Upside down cloud causing problems when exporting to ArcMap

Post by daniel »

What do you mean by 'upside-down'? CC displays the entities with a default point of view (+Z pointing outside of the screen). But the coordinates are preserved in their original coordinates system (X, Y, Z) and are maintained throughout the process until you export the entity to LAS.

This means that if you can't get the right 'point of view' with the OpenGL camera, then your coordinates are probably not expressed in a standard 'direct' coordinate system (i.e. maybe X or Y is inverted?). In this case you can play with the 'Edit > Scale / Multiply' method to invert only one dimension.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
mlc183

Post by mlc183 »

Okay thank you! By upside down I mean that it loads the mirror image of the cloud. How would I be able to change that?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Actually CC always loads what's inside the file...

And if it's mirrored from what you except then as I said you'll have to use the 'Edit > Multiply / scale' tool to invert the right dimension (put -1 in the right field).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin