crashing when I use the align tool

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
bryceglenn

crashing when I use the align tool

Post by bryceglenn »

I'm trying to use the align tool to align two point clouds. Every time I use the align tool the program crashes. I've tried it 20 plus time so far. After the first two time I reduced the size of each point cloud. this helped me get farther in the process, but I'm still only able to select two points before the program crashes. I'd appreciate any help of tips. I've got a lot of work to do and this is the first step in my workflow.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: crashing when I use the align tool

Post by daniel »

That's a bit strange indeed:
  • version of CC?
  • what is your OS?
  • and graphic card?
  • size of the point clouds?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
bryceglenn

Post by bryceglenn »

I'm running version 2.6.0 on windows 7. I'm not sure about the graphics card. Its a work computer. The two point clouds I'm looking at are 9 million and 13 million points.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Hum so there's nothing particularly strange in your configuration (apart potentially from the graphic card).

Is the crash reproducible? (i.e. same number of pickings, etc.). If yes could you try on another machine or send me the data?
bryceglenn

Post by bryceglenn »

I'll try using a different machine to see if that is the issue. Sometime it happens while I pick the second point and sometimes it crashes while picking the 3rd point.
bryceglenn

Post by bryceglenn »

I tried using a different computer and it worked. I did notice that that computer was running version 2.5.4.1 instead of 2.6 Is there a way to download 2.5.4 to see if that version works on my machine?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

mfice

Post by mfice »

I am having the same issue running CC versions 2.5 and 2.6 on windows vista. I am working on point clouds with 1-3 million points. CC crashes before I am able to pick any points. I have also tried to use the tool with smaller files of just a few points and it still crashes. My graphics card is a Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

For this one I guess it's something to do with the graphic card (as we entirely rely on the graphic card to pick points).

Intel chipset are generally slow but it's not a reason to make CC crash... are the drivers up-to-date?