[ANN / Tool] DSEpy: Discontinuity Set Extractor for CloudCompare (Python)

For any question about plugins!
Post Reply
adririquelme
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:55 pm

[ANN / Tool] DSEpy: Discontinuity Set Extractor for CloudCompare (Python)

Post by adririquelme »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share a tool I’ve been working on called DSEpy (Discontinuity Set Extractor).

Some of you might know the original version, which was written in MATLAB for identifying and analyzing rock mass discontinuity sets from 3D point clouds. I’ve recently rewritten it in Python so it can run directly inside CloudCompare, and honestly, I’m really happy with how it turned out!

The integration with CC works really well:
  • It generates scalar fields directly on your active point cloud.
  • It automatically adds new entities into the DB Tree (color-coded point clouds, extracted 3D mesh facets, sub-clouds, etc.).
This makes the whole workflow much smoother than jumping back and forth between different programs.

The code is completely open-source and available on GitHub if anyone wants to test it or play around with it:
It’s currently in active testing, so I’d love to hear your thoughts, feedback, or any bugs you run into. Also, if there’s interest from the community, I’d be open to exploring what it would take to turn it into a native C++ plugin in the future.

Cheers,

Adrián
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Alicante
daniel
Site Admin
Posts: 8232
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:34 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: [ANN / Tool] DSEpy: Discontinuity Set Extractor for CloudCompare (Python)

Post by daniel »

Hey, thanks for the contribution!

I'll try to advertise it as part of the next official release mailing list (hopefully I won't forget!). And maybe on the website as well.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Post Reply