[Volcano Crater] Volume calculation

Feel free to ask any question here
AngryGeologist

[Volcano Crater] Volume calculation

Post by AngryGeologist »

Hellooo everybody !

I'm struggling with a volcano crater volume calculation project.

--AIM--

Be able to define the volume differentiation between two models of the crater (The volcano crater is changing due to the activity and we would like to know the difference between the volume of the crater of 2018 and 2019)

--AVAILABLE DATA--

We built a model with the software "AGISOFT". From this program we can export Mesh (.obj files), cloud (.las files),...
Image Image

--IDEAS TO PROCESS THE DATA--

1) Volume comparison Mesh to Mesh
Directly calculate the difference inside the crater between two meshs

2) Volume comparison Mesh to cloud
calculate the difference inside the crater between a mesh and a cloud (lose of accuracy ?)

3) Volume comparison cloud to cloud
calculate the difference inside the crater between a mesh and a cloud (lose of accuracy twice more ?)

4) Create a plan surface which will cover the crater(accurately)
Calculate the volume of one crater, and then repeat the process with the other. The surface must to fit the crater (manually done maybe ?)

--ISSUES-- (otherwise it couldn't be funny)

- Maybe this is the main issue, the crater is an open model ( the cater isn't cover by something), so can we focus the volume calculation on the space inside the crater ? If we can't, the idea 4) is possible ?

- The current crater couldn't be properly modelizied, because we had to delete the part from which volcanic gases come. In result we have a hole in the model, but there is a tool to close the holes in cloudcompare. Can we close the hole on a mesh/cloud ?

- Usually we have been worked with an another program (currently it dosen't work), and this program calculate the volume variation from a mesh (.obj file). If we work with a cloud (.las file) (if we need to, for this kind of process) do we lose accuracy ? If yes, how much (estimation) ?

--Others--

I'm aware of the georeferencing process, and the align process,... before the volume calculation
And there is a cool photo of the Colima voclano :D

Thank you in advance !
daniel
Site Admin

Re: [Volcano Crater] Volume calculation

Post by daniel »

Interesting.

In CloudCompare you have to use point clouds to compute the volume difference (with the '2.5D Volume calculation" tool). But ... it can still be better if you have a mesh as input (so that you can generate a dense point cloud out of it, and it won't have too much holes). The denser the cloud is, the better the accuracy. But it seems to me that your cloud is already quite dense (and I'm not sure how accurate it is, as it's photogrammetry?).

For your case, you have the choice:
-either you use the raw point cloud, and CloudCompare wil automatically 'ignore' the part with the hole in the calculation. So it's a small approximation, but at least you know that the volume is estimated without that part.
- otherwise you have to close the cloud first. You may try the 'MLS' tool of the qPCL plugin (I believe it is able to close holes in clouds indeed). Or you generate a mesh first (with Delaunay 2.5D if it's sufficient, or with Poisson Surface reconstruction otherwise). And then You'll have to sample points on the mesh.

Don't hesitate to send me the datasets (I guess you have two clouds?) if you want me to try on my side and see what I can achieve (admin [at] cloudcompare.org).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
AngryGeologist

Post by AngryGeologist »

Hello, I've just realize you come from France, so it will be easier for us if we keep going in french ? :)

Donc,

C'est en effet une photogrammetry que nous réalisons. Grace au programme agisoft il nous est possible de créer des coulds et des meshs. J'aurais une préférence pour le mesh si ce dernier est capable de nous donner un résultat plus performant. Voici le cloud, avec et sans les textures (des photos) chargées
Image Image

J'ai donc uploadé mes deux deux meshes et reduit la surface de calcul étant donné que je ne suis intéressé que par le crater. Cependant après avoir utilisé l'outil 2.5D Volume calculation rien ne se produit. J'ai réessayé avec des clouds même résultat...
Image Image

Voici un lien avec les clouds et les meshes du crater en 2018/2019 https://we.tl/t-vDXYxV0rG4

Je suis en train d'uploader sur mon google drive les deux dossiers (avec les photos de la photogrammetry) de la sorte vous pourrez charger les textures sur les différents modèles. Cependant la connexion au labo est médiocre je ne sais pas si je serais apte vous envoyer toutes les infos aujourd'hui.

Je tiens à vous remercier sincèrement de votre aide. Si nous trouvons une nouvelle manière de calculer la variation du volume du crater ca nous aiderait énormément !
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

En français c'est mieux pour nous, mais pas pour les autres utilisateurs du forum ;)

Alors déjà, il semble y avoir un problème de recalage entre vos données (bien qu'elles soient géoréférencées). J'ai donc appliqué l'algorithme ICP aux nuages au préalable (et j'ai propagé le recalage aux maillages). Vu que ce sont des données photogrammétriques, j'ai aussi libéré l'échelle ("adjust scale"). le résultat est nettement différent ! La correction d'échelle est de plus de 10% et le fitting visuel est bien meilleur. Au final les différences sont faibles :
recalage.JPG
recalage.JPG (298.31 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
Ensuite, j'ai "croppé" les maillages avec l'outil "Cross Section" (en sélectionnant les deux à la fois) :
crop.JPG
crop.JPG (73.91 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
Sur ces sections, j'ai échantillonné beaucoup de points (~10M.) avec 'Edit > Mesh > Sample Points'

Et enfin utilisé l'outil de calcul de volume entre ces deux nuages (niveau des paramètres, pas besoin d'interpoler les données vu qu'elles sont très denses et sans trous, et j'ai choisi un pas de 0.5 - pour une meilleure résolution, il suffit d'augmenter le nombre de points échantillonnés et d'être un peu plus patient ;) :
volume_meshes.jpg
volume_meshes.jpg (170.08 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
Ce qui est gênant ici, c'est que la plus grande différence vient du "trou" dans le nuage. Et donc probablement de l'interpolation.

J'ai donc refait le calcul de volume entre le nuage (troué) et le maillage non troué (vu qu'il n'a pas de trou) :
volume_cloud_mesh.jpg
volume_cloud_mesh.jpg (193.22 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
Au final, le volume "retiré" est le même, mais le volume "ajouté" est moins grand, mais aussi moins louche ;)
Attachments
volume_cloud_mesh.jpg
volume_cloud_mesh.jpg (193.22 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
AngryGeologist

Post by AngryGeologist »

OK let's switch for the forum :)

First, thank you so much, for your patience and explanations ! Saddly I don't have the time until Wednesday to work in the lab. I'll retry Wednesday on my side and I'll keep you in touch about my results.

Thank you so much Daniel, you helped a young Belgian student lost in Mexico 😁
AngryGeologist

Post by AngryGeologist »

Hi Daniel !

I processed the data as you and I have similar results. Thank you so much for your help. However, I have some questions, about the interpretation of the results. Image

Added Volume : (+) 136,501.966 --> Does it the added volume in m3 ?
Removed volume : (-) 21,714.430 --> Does it the removed volume in m3 ?

1) What does the step 0.5000 mean?
2) What does the "Num. precision" mean?

I really want to understand each parameter of this tool, maybe there is a help section about this tool, but I can't find it ?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

The volumes are expressed in the same units as the input cloud (so it depends on your cloud, and sadly CC can't know which units you are using, so you'd better know it, or determine it indirectly ;).

And here is the documentation of the tool: https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... .5D_Volume