OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Feel free to ask any question here
Post Reply
Jay_Ki
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:39 am

OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Post by Jay_Ki »

Hello,

I would like to report a possible bug related to OBJ textures when using the Cross Section tool.

The issue can be reproduced as follows:

1. Open an `example.obj` file that has a texture.
2. Use the **Cross Section** tool to cut the model and create a section.
3. If I am not satisfied with the resulting section and remove/delete it, the texture of the original model disappears.
4. Once this happens, I have to restart CloudCompare and reopen the model to restore the texture.

This issue seems to occur specifically with OBJ files. I have tested the same workflow with PLY and GLB files, and the problem does not occur with those formats.

For simple tasks, restarting CloudCompare and reopening the model is only a minor inconvenience. However, if this happens during a more complex workflow involving multiple processing steps, it can become a significant problem.

I would like to know what might be causing this behavior and whether it is something that can be fixed.

Thank you.

* version : v2.14 beta
* you can check the issue at the link below.
https://youtu.be/I-YO0ghfl1g
daniel
Site Admin
Posts: 8232
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:34 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Post by daniel »

Good catch. What is the date associated to the 2.14.beta version you add the issue with?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
daniel
Site Admin
Posts: 8232
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:34 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Post by daniel »

(I can't reproduce this issue on my side at least, with the latest 2.14.beta version of the 13th of September)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Jay_Ki
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:39 am

Re: OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Post by Jay_Ki »

feb 21 2026 version.
I am going to retry with recent version.
Jay_Ki
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:39 am

Re: OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Post by Jay_Ki »

https://youtu.be/0AKRf-cbMdo
same issue occured
daniel
Site Admin
Posts: 8232
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:34 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Post by daniel »

I guess you are working on Windows, but what is your graphic card model? (you can see it in the console on startup, and also the OpenGL version, etc.)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Jay_Ki
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:39 am

Re: OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Post by Jay_Ki »

CPU : i7 10700F
GPU : NVIDA GEFORCE RTX 3070
GL VERSION : 4.6.0 NVIDA 580.97
daniel
Site Admin
Posts: 8232
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:34 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Post by daniel »

Almost the same as me then... Strange.

I'll have to look at the code and try to imagine what can go wrong...
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
daniel
Site Admin
Posts: 8232
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:34 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Post by daniel »

Ok, this should be fixed now! You can test the latest 2.14.beta version on Windows.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Jay_Ki
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:39 am

Re: OBJ Texture Disappears After Removing a Cross Section

Post by Jay_Ki »

It works. Thanks for your services!
Post Reply