[ANN / Tool] DSEpy: Discontinuity Set Extractor for CloudCompare (Python)
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:31 am
Hi everyone,
I wanted to share a tool I’ve been working on called DSEpy (Discontinuity Set Extractor).
Some of you might know the original version, which was written in MATLAB for identifying and analyzing rock mass discontinuity sets from 3D point clouds. I’ve recently rewritten it in Python so it can run directly inside CloudCompare, and honestly, I’m really happy with how it turned out!
The integration with CC works really well:
The code is completely open-source and available on GitHub if anyone wants to test it or play around with it:
Cheers,
Adrián
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Alicante
I wanted to share a tool I’ve been working on called DSEpy (Discontinuity Set Extractor).
Some of you might know the original version, which was written in MATLAB for identifying and analyzing rock mass discontinuity sets from 3D point clouds. I’ve recently rewritten it in Python so it can run directly inside CloudCompare, and honestly, I’m really happy with how it turned out!
The integration with CC works really well:
- It generates scalar fields directly on your active point cloud.
- It automatically adds new entities into the DB Tree (color-coded point clouds, extracted 3D mesh facets, sub-clouds, etc.).
The code is completely open-source and available on GitHub if anyone wants to test it or play around with it:
- GitHub Repository: https://github.com/adririquelme/DSEpy
- Wiki & Setup: https://github.com/adririquelme/DSEpy/wiki
Cheers,
Adrián
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Alicante